What is Couples Therapy?
Couples therapy helps you and your partner express your relationship needs, worries, or conflicts in a neutral and comfortable setting. Many couple’s issues are rooted in poor communication or strained connection, which often leads to marital conflict, sexual issues, infidelity or emotional withdrawal. Therapy helps to restore open communication and to recognize and release the negative emotions that are getting in the way of your relationship.
- Are you feeling distant or avoiding each other?
- Do you feel like roommates? Is the affection missing?
- Do you feel like you’re walking on eggshells or tired of having the same fight?
- Have you contemplated divorce or splitting up but aren’t sure whether to stay or go?
- Has an emotional or physical affair affected the trust in the relationship?
- Are you needing to work on the quality of the sex and/or communication you have with your partner?
Couples counseling can help you break the cycle, find common ground, and renew your relationship.
Rebuilding Connection and Repairing Conflict
My passion is partnering with clients to overcome uncertainty and ambivalence in their relationships and break free from destructive self-doubts and negative interactions. I utilize the Gottman Method which aims to enhance awareness and effective communication, as well as emotional connection between partners. I work with couples to help each partner feel better understood, strengthen the respect they have for one another, learn to communicate more effectively and ask for what each partner needs.
Together, we will assess the relationship past and present to gain new understandings and develop a path for moving forward including:
- Modifying “gridlocked” conflict patterns
- Repairing past hurts and injuries
- Improving intimacy and communication
- Restoring trust and stability
- Getting back into a vibrant, passionate commitment with your partner (and yourself)
“The goal in marriage is not to think alike but to think together.”
– Robert C Dodds